The outbox is the queue of all faxes that are waiting to be sent or are in the process of being sent. If you send faxes using multiple fax devices, the outbox is the collective queue for all these devices. Once a fax is sent successfully, it is moved to the archive.
You can view the Outbox folder by using Windows Fax and Scan. To open Windows Fax and Scan, click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Fax and Scan.
Administrators can use Fax Service Manager to configure the following properties for the outbox and outgoing faxes:
- Include banner. This item is selected
by default. You can add a banner to outgoing faxes. A banner is
text that is added to each page of a transmitted fax. The banner
format cannot be modified. However, if all the banner information
does not fit, a shorter version appears. Information in a banner
- Date and time of transmission
- From: TSID of sender
- Recipient phone number (full version of
- Page of total pages
- Date and time of transmission
- Allow use of personal cover pages.
This item is selected by default. You can enable users to attach
custom cover pages to outgoing faxes. If you do not enable this
feature, then users connecting to a fax server with a remote fax
printer connection can only choose cover page templates located on
the fax server computer.
- Use device Transmitting Subscriber ID
(TSID). This item is selected by default. You can specify that
the TSID for the device is used. If you do not enable this option,
the TSID used in the outgoing fax is the sender's fax number, as
specified in the Sender Information properties page in
Windows Fax and Scan. However, if you send a fax programmatically,
the TSID parameter specified in the application programming
interface (API) will be used instead of the sender's fax number.
For more information about configuring TSIDs, see Enable a Fax Device to
- Number of retries. You can set the
number of retries for attempting to resend faxes following an
unsuccessful connection attempt or transmission failure. If the
maximum number of retries is reached, the outgoing fax remains in
the outbox until it is deleted or until you restart the failed
transmission. The default value is 3.
- Retry after. You can set the number of
minutes between attempts to retry fax transmission. When the
maximum number of retries has been exhausted, the user can restart
the transmission, which resets the retries. The default value is
- Discount rate start and stop. You can
specify times when discount rates for the fax line apply and send
faxes during these times. A discount rate fax job can never start
transmission outside the specified discount period. However, for a
long fax, a discount rate fax job might have some part of its
transmission outside the specified discount period. The default
value for both items is 12:00 AM.
- Automatically delete faxes older than.
This item is not selected by default. You can specify that failed
faxes in the fax queue are automatically deleted periodically. The
fax queue consists of the Outbox folder and Incoming folder. The
default value for the number of days is 1.
|To configure the outbox and outgoing fax transmissions|
Open Fax Service Manager.
In the left pane, right-click Fax, and then click Properties.
On the Outbox tab, do the following:
- Select the Include banner check box to print
transmission information on the edge of each page of outgoing
- Select the Allow use of personal cover pages check box
to allow users to use cover pages from their personal cover pages
folder when sending faxes.
- Select the Use device Transmitting Subscriber ID (TSID)
check box to include identification information about a fax sender
to a fax recipient.
- In Number of retries, enter the number of times to
attempt to resend a failed outgoing fax.
- In Retry after, enter the number of minutes to wait
before trying to resend a failed outgoing fax.
- In Discount rate start, specify from what time discount
line rates will be taken into account when sending faxes.
- In Discount rate stop, specify until what time discount
line rates will no longer be taken into account when sending
- Select the Automatically delete faxes older than
<number> days check box to set a duration to
automatically delete failed faxes that are not sent or received and
remain in the Outbox or Incoming folders.
- Select the Include banner check box to print transmission information on the edge of each page of outgoing faxes.
- To configure fax components, you must be a
member of the Administrators group or you must have been delegated
the appropriate authority.
- To open Fax Service Manager, click
Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click
Fax Service Manager.