Administrators is the minimum group membership required to complete this procedure. Review the details in "Additional considerations" in this topic.
|To reset the password for a local user account|
Open Computer Management.
In the console tree, click Users.
- Computer Management\System Tools\Local Users
- Computer Management\System Tools\Local Users and Groups\Users
Right-click the user account for which you want to reset the password, and then click Set Password.
Read the warning message, and if you want to continue, click Proceed.
In New password and in Confirm password, type a new password, and then click OK.
- To perform this procedure, you must provide
credentials for the Administrator account on the local computer (if
you are prompted), or you must be a member of the Administrators
group on the local computer.
- Strong passwords improve computer and network
- Resetting a local account password for a user
may result in some data loss for that user if the user has
encrypted data or alternate Internet passwords.