Administrators is the minimum group membership required to complete this procedure. Review the details in "Additional considerations" in this topic.
|To create a local user account|
Open Computer Management.
In the console tree, click Users.
- Computer Management\System Tools\Local Users
- Computer Management\System Tools\Local Users and Groups\Users
On the Action menu, click New User.
Type the appropriate information in the dialog box.
Select or clear the check boxes for:
- User must change password at next
- User cannot change password
- Password never expires
- Account is disabled
- User must change password at next logon
Click Create, and then click Close.
- To perform this procedure, you must provide
credentials for the Administrator account on the local computer (if
you are prompted), or you must be a member of the Administrators
group on the local computer.
- A user name cannot be identical to any other
user name or group name on the computer that is being administered.
The user name can contain up to 20 uppercase characters or
lowercase characters, except for the following:
" / \ [ ] : ; | = , + * ? < > @
A user name cannot consist solely of periods (.) or spaces.
- In Password and Confirm
password, you can type a password containing up to
127 characters. However, if the network consists of computers
running Windows 95 or Windows 98, consider using
passwords that are no longer than 14 characters. If your
password is longer than 14 characters, you may not be able to
log on to the network from computers running Windows 95 or
- The use of strong passwords and appropriate
password policies can help protect your computer from attack.