[an error occurred while processing this directive]
To access backup and recovery tools, you must install the Windows Server Backup Features and subordinate items that are available in the Add Features Wizard in Server Manager. This installs the following tools:
- Windows Server Backup Microsoft Management
Console (MMC) snap-in
- Wbadmin command-line tool
- Windows PowerShell cmdlets for Windows Server
|To install backup and recovery tools|
Click Start, click Administrative Tools, click Server Manager, in the left pane click Features, and then in the right pane click Add Features. This opens the Add Features Wizard.
In the Add Features Wizard, on the Select Features page, expand Windows Server Backup Features, and then select the check boxes for Windows Server Backup and Command-line Tools.
Or, if you just want to install the snap-in and the Wbadmin command-line tool, expand Windows Server Backup Features, and then select the Windows Server Backup check box only—make sure the Command-line Tools check box is clear.
On the Confirm Installation Selections page, review the choices that you made, and then click Install. If there is an error during the installation, it will be noted on the Installation Results page.
Then, to access these backup and recovery tools, do the following:
- To access the Windows Server Backup snap-in,
click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then
click Windows Server Backup.
- To access and view the syntax for
Wbadmin, click Start, right-click Command
Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. At the
prompt, type: wbadmin /?
- For instructions to access and view the Help
for the Windows PowerShell Windows Server Backup cmdlets, see
Server Backup Cmdlets.
- To access the Windows Server Backup snap-in, click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Windows Server Backup.
- To install Windows Server Backup features in
Server Manager, you must be a member of the Backup Operators or
Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the
- To install Windows Server Backup on a Server
Core installation, you can use the command line for Server Manager.
For instructions, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=143737. For
additional instructions to install roles on Server Core
installations, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=129805.
- You can also access Windows Server Backup
from Server Manager. To do this, in the left pane double-click
Storage, and then double-click Windows Server