If you are installing Domain Name System (DNS) on a domain controller and you cancel the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard before the DNS server installation is completed, the DNS server role might be installed but not configured to support AD DS. Allowing the wizard to complete the DNS installation and configuration is strongly recommended. However, if you do cancel the wizard, complete the following steps as necessary to ensure that the DNS server is configured correctly for AD DS integration:
- Configure DNS client settings. For more
information, see Configuring TCP/IP and
DNS Client Settings.
- Create all necessary DNS delegation records.
For more information, see Creating or Updating a
- Configure forwarders. For more information,
Forwarders, Using Forwarders,
and Configure a
DNS Server to Use Forwarders.
- Configure root hints if necessary. For more
information, see Updating Root Hints
and Update Root
Hints on the DNS Server.
- Convert any necessary file-backed zones to
Active Directory–integrated zones. For more information, see
Change the Zone